Send YOUR RECIPE to our 2014 Central Valley Kids Cook-Off
WHERE: Visalia Convention Center – during the Visalia Home EXPO
HOW TO ENTER: Submitted recipes online <Click Here> or at the link provided below
ENTRY DEADLINE: September 5th
Qualifying Recipes: Entries must include a recipe for a NUTRITIOUS LUNCH MADE UP OF TWO DISTINCT MENU ITEMS that can be prepared in an hour or less. Your entry may include, but is not limited to, fruits, vegetables, chicken, turkey, beef, pork or fish, and it may include items such as breads (wheat, rye, pita, etc.), tortillas, crackers, pasta, salads, drinks, etc. Be sure to consider locally grown fruits, vegetables, dairy products, nuts and other seasonal items that promote a healthy lunch.
Selection of Finalists: The Institute of Technology, Culinary Division Staff,will select five (5) finalists from two age group (6-10 and 11-16) who will compete in the cook-off. Each finalist will be paired with a mentor to oversee preparation and ensure safety and one parent/guardian must attend. The children will present four (4) servings of their finished recipes to four judges.
Judging:Recipes will be judged on the following criteria:
- Overall Appeal (originality, creative ingredients, sportsmanship)
- Appearance & Presentation (visual appeal, aroma, garnish)
- Execution of Recipe (cooked just right, not over/underdone, color, volume, not to dry/moist)
- Taste (seasoning, spices and herbs, flavor balance, tender texture, moist/crunchy as appropriate)
- Judge’s Bonus (Judges discretion in awarding additional points for difficulty, nutritional value, use of local ingredients, etc.)
Prizes: First-place winners in Age Group 6-10 will receive a party for 10 hosted by Build-A-Bear Workshop. First place winners in Age Group 11-16 will receive four Passports to Disneyland Resort and a kitchen tour! All other finalists will receive additional prizes provided by Comcast and retail stores Macy’s and JC Penney (located in the Visalia Mall).
All finalists will receive honorable mention on this website. Also, finalists may be videotaped live and the footage may air in a future episode of Hey Kids, Let’s Cook.
and talk about her visit to Disneyland and restaurant tour!